: Scientist – Biopharma Cellular Sciences
Thousand Oaks, CA (Essential 50% onsite)
DSC - Cellular Sciences
: 12 months with likely extensions
Job posting date
3 Key Consulting is hiring a Scientist for a consulting engagement with our client, a leading global bio-pharmaceutical company.
The Scientist – Virus/Viral Vector Downstream Development will be responsible for downstream process and analytical development. The position will be part of a dynamic and growing viral vector team based in Thousand Oaks.
This role will design purification processes to support GMP virus production for virus clearance studies and/or for viral vector-based therapy and optimize yield and purity. Responsibilities include process development to build downstream capabilities, such as virus filtration, chromatography, TFF/DF, and clarification. Additional goals may include process scaling and characterization, in order to improve robustness and understanding of operating and performance parameters. The role will draft and deliver protocols, SOPs, and document results in technical reports and presentations. He/she will collaborate closely with colleagues inside and outside the team.
The role will also support analytical testing to support the upstream and downstream PD efforts. Depending on the candidate’s skill set, this may include development of analytical assays, such as residual host cell protein, residual host cell DNA impurities, and virus infectious and particle titer assays.
The successful candidate should have a demonstrated background in virus, protein, or antibody purification process development and/or analytical testing of viral vectors, as well as personal attributes including initiative, teamwork, and independent thinking.
Virus or antibody purification experience is a requirement
Doctorate degree and 0-3 years of industry-related experience OR
Master’s degree and 5+ years industry-related experience OR
Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years industry-related experience
- A Master's or Doctorate degree in Biochemistry, Virology, Protein Engineering or a related field
- 5+ years of experience with purification and filtration of viruses or large proteins and bioassay technology
- Experience in biotechnology or a related industry with a track record of strong scientific contributions and project leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to independently identify, develop, and implement problem-solving approaches using the scientific method.
- Ability to develop and apply methodology and platform approaches and utilize superior problem-solving skills as well as out-of-the-box thinking to contribute to technology improvements.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of laboratory equipment and operations.
- Demonstrated superior communication and scientific writing skills.
- Ability to execute complex and cutting-edge projects as part of a team or independently.
- Knowledge of recombinant protein or virus expression and biochemistry, virus chromatography approaches (ion exchange, SEC), chromatography equipment (GE Akta), and scale-up.
- Knowledge and experience with mammalian cell culture and virus handling at Biosafety Level 2 and 2+ and applicable safety standards.
- Knowledge and experience with experimental planning and statistical analysis, such as Design of Experiment (DOE), process design, characterization, and optimization.
- Knowledge and experience with infectious and physical virus titer methods and process residual and impurity assays (ELISA, qPCR or ddPCR, TCID50).
- Knowledge with processes involved in virus GMP manufacturing, characterization and release testing, and QA/QC.
- Knowledge and experience working with hazardous compounds and chemicals.
- Ability to evaluate documentation/operations according to company procedures.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely and thoughtful manner, taking in consideration available information.
- Ability to respond appropriately if a situation requires a different set of skills and work approaches.
- Ability to meet expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Ability to assimilate information and make timely decisions that impact the functional area.
- Chromatography technique skills.
- TFF/DF skills.
- Virology skills.
- Aseptic cell culture skills.
- Analytical testing skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Technical writing skills for protocols, SOPs, reports, and presentations.
- Communication (verbal and written) at all levels.
- Statistical analysis tools to perform data analysis and evaluation.
- Investigation skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Negotiation skills.
Top 3 Must Have Skill Set:
- Related process development or research experience in the biotechnology industry and/or academia.
- Attention and dedication to process and method development.
- Must be a team player.
- Ability to organize work, handle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and requirements.
- Demonstrates understanding of when and how to appropriately escalate.
- Participates in and can direct team efforts to advance development/technology programs within the department.
- Applies team experiences to facilitate cohesiveness and build team spirit.
- Independently authors technical reports and assessments.
- Capable of organizing and conducting effective meetings.
- Learns and applies facilitation and listening skills.
- Identifies resources and develops timelines for project activities.
- Organizes, plans, and controls multiple project activities to meet corporate timelines.
Employee Value Proposition:
- Experience with purifying large viruses and/or large proteins
- Experience with chromatography
- Experience with TFF/DF
A person in this role will be able to work on state of the art processes.
Lack of chromatography purification experience
Lack of TFF/DF experience
Lack of experience with purifying large viruses or large proteins
Phone screening followed up by virtual interview with the team. For the virtual interview, a seminar presentation on related work by the candidate is required to assess their scientific work and abilities.
We invite qualified candidates to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you decide that you’re not interested in pursuing this position, please feel free to look at other positions on our website www.3keyconsulting.com
. You are welcome to also share this posting with anyone you think might be interested in applying for this role.