: Scientist (JP7916)
Thousand Oaks, CA
: 12 months with likely extensions
Job posting date
: 12 November 2020
Note: Onsite Essential
3 Key Consulting is hiring a Scientist (for a consulting engagement with our direct client, a leading global bio-pharmaceutical company.
- The Viral Vector Scientist will be responsible for participating in downstream viral vector process and/or analytical development. The position will be part of a dynamic and growing viral vector team based in Thousand Oaks.
- This role will design and perform purification studies to support development of robust viral vector platforms and optimize viral vector yield and purity.
- Responsibilities include process development and/or transfer to build end-to-end downstream capabilities, including virus filtration, chromatography, TFF/DF, and clarification.
- Additional goals are process scale up and characterization, in order to improve robustness and understanding of operating and performance parameters.
- The role will draft and deliver protocols, SOPs, and document results in technical reports and presentations to support viral vector process development.
- He/she will collaborate closely with colleagues inside and outside the team and with external partners.
- The role will also perform analytical testing to support the upstream and downstream viral vector process efforts.
- Depending on the candidate’s skill set, this may include development of analytical assays, such as residual host cell protein, residual host cell DNA impurities, and virus infectious and particle titer assays, and shepherding those methods through transfer to QC.
- The successful candidate should have a demonstrated background in virus, protein, or antibody purification process development and/or analytical testing of viral vectors, as well as personal attributes including initiative, teamwork, and independent thinking.
Doctorate degree and 0-3 years of industry-related experience OR Master’s degree and 5+ years industry-related experience OR Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years industry-related experience.
Top Must have Skill Sets:
- A Master's or Doctorate degree in Biochemistry, Virology, Protein Engineering or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience with purification and filtration of viral vectors or large proteins and bioassay technology.
- Experience in biotechnology or a related industry with a track record of strong scientific contributions and project leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to independently identify, develop, and implement problem-solving approaches using the scientific method.
- Ability to develop and apply methodology and platform approaches and utilize superior problem-solving skills as well as out-of-the-box thinking to contribute to technology improvements.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of laboratory equipment and operations.
- Demonstrated superior communication and scientific writing skills.
- Ability to execute complex and cutting-edge projects as part of a team or independently.
- Knowledge of recombinant protein or virus expression and biochemistry, virus chromatography approaches (ion exchange, SEC) and chromatography equipment (GE Akta).
- Knowledge and experience with handling viral vectors at Biosafety Level 2 and 2+ and applicable safety standards.
- Knowledge and experience with experimental planning and statistical analysis, such as Design of Experiment (DOE), process design, characterization, and optimization.
- Knowledge and experience with infectious and physical virus titer methods and process residual and impurity assays (ELISA, qPCR or ddPCR).
- Knowledge and experience with protein expression, chromatography scale-up and selection, operation, and engineering principles.
- Knowledge with processes involved in viral vector GMP manufacturing, characterization and release testing, and QA/QC.
- Knowledge and experience working with hazardous compounds and chemicals.
- Ability to evaluate documentation/operations according to company procedures.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely and thoughtful manner, taking in consideration available information.
- Ability to respond appropriately if a situation requires a different set of skills and work approaches.
- Ability to meet expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Ability to assimilate information and make timely decisions that impact the functional area.
- Chromatography technique skills.
- TFF/DF skills.
- Virology skills.
- Analytical testing skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Technical writing skills for protocols, SOPs, reports, and presentations.
- Communication (verbal and written) at all levels.
- Statistical analysis tools to perform data analysis and evaluation.
- Investigation skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Negotiation skills.
Employee Value Proposition:
- chromatography and purification development.
- analytical testing of viral vectors, proteins, or antibodies
- initiative, teamwork, and independent thinking.
working with a growing and dynamic team, access to resources who are doing cutting edge projects, growing their skill set within the project.
Lack of cell culture and hands-on laboratory experience.
We invite qualified candidates to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you decide that you’re not interested in pursuing this position, please feel free to look at other positions on our website www.3keyconsulting.com
. You are welcome to also share this posting with anyone you think might be interested in applying for this role.